RETRO GAMER JR.
Retro Gamer Jr. is a compact retro games emulator that transforms your TV into a nostalgia fueled journey through the arcade and console games of the ‘good old days’. The simple laser-cut wooden cabinet is a modern take on the retro aesthetic that houses two traditional arcade controllers (with expandability for USB joypads) and runs an open-source software capable of emulating games from older consoles and arcade machines.
- DATE- Mar, 2017
- SOFTWARE-Solidworks, Illustrator
- HARDWARE- Laser cutter, electronics
Constructed from 7 laser cut plywood panels and 3 acrylic panels the slotted design is self-aligning during assembly, eliminating the need for jigs or skilled labour. This simplified assembly opens up the possibility for flat packed DIY kits as an option for those wanting to build their own arcade (an active community) but lacking the time, skill or experience. The design maximises material use for standard sheet sizes and uses plantation grown Australian hoop pine plywood with FSC / PEFC certification and E0 formaldehyde emission rating is sourced from a local manufacturer with a focus on waste minimisation and responsible chain of custody.
- EMULATOR–MAME aracde, Super Nintendo System, Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Megadrive, Sega Master System, N64, Neo Geo & ScummVM.
- OS–Open source retrorangepi (retropi derivative), full Armbian Desktop Environment.
- FUNCTION–Pause, Save & Load.
- PROCESSOR–Quad core 1.2GHZ, 512mb RAM & WIFI connectivity.
- CONTROLS–2 x 8 way Joysticks, 2 x 6 game buttons, 1 & 2 player buttons, insert coin button & Hot key button.
- INPUT–2 x USB gamepad/keyboard/mouse & 1 x USB game roms
- OUTPUT–1 x HDMI (1080p, 720p) with audio.
- ENCLOSURE–Australian plantation grown hoop pine plywood with FSC and PEFC certification and E0 formaldehyde emission rating.